Friday, May 9, 2008

If the Phone Doesn't Ring...

I keep thinking of that Jimmy Buffet song--the lyrics basically go something like this "if your phone doesn't ring, it's me". I think he is talking about a girl he once knew and about how even though he doesn't call her, he thinks of her all the time.



That is pretty much how I feel about my life outside of Elizabeth. Somehow Elizabeth seems to consume my every waking moment and often my sleeping time as well. Without going into detail-- suffice to say that the last six months have been a little like "baby basic training" for me and Marty. And you could say Elizabeth is our darling little drill Sargeant to whom we have to answer.

So....all this to say that if I haven't called you, emailed you or visited you--it is not because I don't think of you a lot. It is not because I don't want to spend time with you. Oh no--I assure you it is not that.

The good news is that we have gotten a little bit of help with a nanny/mother's helper who will be here 2 days a week until mid-June. After that we have Elizabeth scheduled to attend preschool for a few hours a day during the week. I think she is going to love it because she is so darn social. She loves everyone--with one exception being the housecleaners who come once every two weeks. They are the sweetest couple you could meet and yet every time she sees them she screams for dear life. She doesn't even want to be in the house when they are here. It is really odd since she runs up to some up the scariest looking people on the street and asks them to hold her--and yet with sweet Mr. & Mrs. T she is petrified. Am I going to have to worry about her judgment of people? Oh man, wait until she starts dating.

On a brighter note, now that Sandra is here and certainly in June when Elizabeth heads to preschool, I hope to be able to resume at least a smidgen of a social life. Well, at least maybe a few phone calls a week.

No comments: