Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hello ER, Bye Bye Coffee Table

"Your life can change in an instant". I remember my old boss telling me that over lunch one day. For some reason it has always stuck in my mind. And this morning those words were reverberating in my head.

So at approximately 8:29 A.M. Elizabeth was joyously running around the family room and I literally thought to myself, "she seems so happy and jubiliant"--I actually went to check the sugar content of the fruit and granola bar she had just eaten. Nope, not too much sugar--it must be that she is just so happy--and how nice is that!

And then in an instant Elizabeth went from laughing and cavorting to running head first into the edge of the coffee table. What then ensued was a lot of crying and screaming and me trying to comfort her and hold her close. I then screamed for Marty and took Elizabeth up the stairs all the time yelling, "we have to get rid of that table--NOW!". It wasn't until I pulled Elizabeth away from me and I actually looked at her that I realized this was no little "bump on the head". She had a huge gash across her forehead along with a massive swelling that was already black and blue.

"We have to take her to the emergency room," my instincts told me, this isn't something to just "wait and watch". We immediately called the pediatrician and he said, "take her to the emergency room." I have to say that at that point everything went into fast forward. I realized I had to at least get out of my pajamas and then thought, "or should I just go like this?" No, my instincts told me I could at least get dressed. Marty was ready in a minute (believe me that is saying A LOT!) and I grabbed my shoes and socks and we were in the car whisking Elizabeth to Hoag Hospital emergency room by 8:40 A.M.

It was not a fun drive. Elizabeth was in pretty good spirits but looked a little sleepy and I tried as best I could to keep her awake. I started to panic when she wouldn't track my finger...Marty had to keep reiterating that I shouldn't panic and that she seemed to be fine an in good spirits. Oh, and it really pained me to look at the nasty gash on her forehead.

It all happened so darn fast. The intake nurse was sweet but I burst into tears when I started explaining what happened. And when the nurse picked up the phone to call for one of the doctors and said, "infant head injury" I felt physically ill.

Marty was a lot more composed and being of a naturally more optimistic nature when it comes to medical conditions, he seemed to be sure Elizabeth would be fine.

Luckily when the ER doctor examined her, he said he thought she would be just fine. He did however ask us to keep her in the ER for about half an hour so that they could observe her. Happily after the half hour was up the doctor came in to find Elizabeth dancing to the Wiggles video that the nurses were sweet enough to put in the room.

We left the ER with a list of things to watch out for and a great sense of relief.

And I thought as we were exiting the emergency room doors about all the others that were in the emergency room and how their experiences were likely much more traumatic than ours. And yet, at any moment --you just never know. Your life can truly change in an instant.

And I suppose that is why we should cherish each moment that we have...and the cliches about "if you have your health, you have everything" seem to come to life when you are sitting in the emergency room.

Friends have said, this is a "rite of passage" and I suppose in an way that is true. But we knew this coffee table was a potential hazard. We reasoned that she hadn't had a problem in four months so it should be fine. LaLa you was right. Well, needless to say at 3:45 P.M. today dear friend Matt took time away from his family and brand new baby girl to help Marty cart the dastardly coffee table into the garage where it belongs.

Bye Bye coffee table.

The challenge now for me is to not view everything in Elizabeth's path as a hazard and potential emergency room visit. I took Elizabeth to the neighborhood park this afternoon and I have to admit that I shadowed her every move and my heart jumped every time she took a spill.

Welcome to parenthood.

Ay Carumba.



Here is a photo of the gash on poor baby's forehead. You can't really get a sense of the bump here...but believe me, it is a real shiner.


She is such a trooper, she was smiling 15 minutes after she fell.



And here is where her bangs come in handy to hide her nasty Frankenstein gash. Oh my poor little pumpkin. Oh yeah, she can have ice cream tomorrow--and whatever else she wants!

No comments: