Thursday, March 6, 2008

She's doing fine

Just a quick update to the last sad little post about Elizabeth's boo boo.

Elizabeth has been fine and dandy since falling and scaring us out of our wits. Actually within 15 minutes of the incident she was a pretty cheery little girl.

Today we went to the playground (sorry I forgot the camera) and she was running and laughing and doing all sorts of things that were making me sweat--including trying to climb up the 8 foot tall jungle gym. My friend Patty was there with her daughter Maria and I am sure Patty now thinks I am the worlds' most neurotic mom--I didn't let Elizabeth get up more than two stairs on that jungle gym unless I was right behind here and holding on to her for dear life.

And this little girl is not a lot like her mama who was one of the least athletic kids on the block. Not Elizabeth--she is a runner and a climber. I tried to redirect her to the kiddy swing and interestingly she is petrified of the safe little swing. She cries desperately the minute you put her in it. But as for climbing up to the top of a ten foot slide and barreling down--with that she has no problem.

I looked at lots of the equipment at the playground and somehow I can't remember these sorts of things when I was a kid. They have all these giant jungle gyms and climbing posts that look like an accident lawyer's dream. There were even 7 and 8 years old at the park that I was worried about up there. I truly don't know how people can let kids climb up on these things that have all sort of doors and cliffs that drop off at least 8 or 9 feet--no joke. Sure there is a soft substance on the floor--but you fall that far and something has to break.

Maybe it's me.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep Elizabeth from climbing when we go to the playground.

Good luck, eh?

No comments: