Monday, November 12, 2007

Elizabeth and Dr. Lu


Okay, so I admit it. I am a recovering hypochondriac. But that doesn't mean I don't have reason to worry. ;) If you have ever watched the Woody Allen movie, Hannah and Her Sisters and remember the scene where Woody Allen determines that he doesn't have the brain tumor and start frollicking gleefully down a Manhattan street then you pretty much have a view into my psyche.


That being said, I can tell you that Elizabeth has had a bit of a cold, however slight. And, I did take her to the $8.15 Chinese doctor who was probably a great doctor. However, I was kind of sick about the whole experience and since the doctor didn't speak of word of English --let's just say I didn't get the warm and fuzzies.

So....with Elizabeth still wheezing a bit, I figured I better call out the big guns. I had gotten a referral to a Dr. Lu through Jane Aronson's office. She is the "orphan doctor" and is the doctor to all of Angelina Jolie's adopted children. Say no more!!!
For those who are interested here is the link to Dr. Lu

So...I got through to Dr. Lu with some difficulty and learned that an $18 (about$2.50) Yuan cab ride would get us to her. Heck it must be around the corner if the cab ride is that cheap. Wrong. Luckily sweet Claire from the China team came with me and Marty stayed home to bask in a moment of "no responsibility".

It was a 15-20 minute cab ride and Elizabeth behaved beautifully. Having a personal Chinese guide also helped since I would never have gotten there on my own. (ever try to communicate with a Chinese-- only speaking cab driver?)


The neighborhood that Dr. Lu was in was amazing. Very modern-with enough skyscapers to give New York City a run for it's money.

Dr. Lu was divine and all that I had hoped for. She spoke better English than I did and was trained in Australia. She also spoke fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. And best of all has lots of experience with orphan children. (which Elizabeth is NO MORE!!!!!)


The WONDERFUL NEWS is that she checked Elizabeth from head to toe and declard her healthy!Elizabeth is on target in terms of all of her development and that does not happen often. I mean how stinkin' lucky are we?


She also said that Elizabeth was on the 90th percentile for height and weight...and that is on the Western charts! She is totally off the charts for Chinese measurements. Dr. Lu also said that Elizabeth was also very social. No kidding. She played with the doctor the whole time and laughed and was a pure pleasure. (okay, I will stop now, as I realize it is turning into bragging).


The only news that could be viewed as less than ideal from Elizabeth's perspective is that Dr. Lu looked at diaper clad Elizabeth and said, "her diaper is on backwards!" WHOOPS. Mama not too swift. Okay Okay so I wasn't sure which way the diaper went on. Kenya did give me a quick lesson but I guess the class wasn't long enough. The good thing is that this baby is very agreeable...so she let me slide. I have since learned the proper placement and I think she is happier for it.

Yikes.


Elizabeth had a busy day yesterday..after I took her to Dr. Lu she had to head on to her group trip to the official goverment check up for adopted children.

More on that next.

No comments: