Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Never take Tylenol P.M. before you are sure baby is asleep for the night

Well, I haven't posted much in the last couple of days, owing primarily to little Elizabeth who is pretty far out of whack in terms of sleeping schedules--which pretty much means I have gotten about 12 hours sleep in the last three days.


Last night she was a real troublemaker and simply wouldn't sleep. I sensed something was wrong and we headed off to yet another doctor visit this afternoon and lo and behold, the little princess had a 102 fever. I think that, in part, explains her unusally cranky behavior at bed time. The doctor gave her some antibiotics and some tylenol to help and within hours of taking the medicine, she was her old smiley little self.


She is pure pleasure. The only challenge seems to be that "super baby" seems to not need to sleep!!! She is likely having major time zone adjustment problem, but unfortunately she bears almost no resemblence to the sleeping beauty who was with us in China. In China she went to sleep at 9 or so and slept all through the night.
I fear she has tricked us....and I also fear she will be one of the sleep problem children. I suppose I need to give it a bit more time--like a lot of babies it seems she fights sleep even though she is totally exhausted.

So...tonight after taking her medicine she seemed really sleepy and finally we put her to bed and I figured okay she is set for the night...wonderful...I will sleep through the night! Hooray! However I woke up about an hour into my sleep --half due to my nerves being half shot at the thought she will wake up. So...I did whatever any idiotic human being would do....I took Tylenol P.M. figuring that would get me back to sleep. Problem...within 10 minutes of taking the Tylenol P.M., screaming Mimi woke up. That was at midnight--it is now after 2 a.m. and she is going strong--I on the other hand am doing all I can to stay awake.


It reminds me of a business trip to The Wall Street Journal I took some years ago where I arrived after midnight and had a major presentation in the morning. I woke up at 7 a.m. to get ready for the 9 a.m. meeting and had quite a headache. In my tired state I mistakenly took two Tylenol P.M. instead of Tylenol. That was a panic moment and only about 4 cups of tea saved the day for me.


Actually that was a lot easier ...the meeting only lasted a couple of hours...Elizabeth lasts a whole heck of a lot longer than that.


It is 2:35 and she is showing no signs of slumber. I have decided that I will meet her at the challenge...if she doesn't want to sleep i am not going to force the issue I will wait it out. Let's make this an all nighter.
I simply have not been able to let her cry herself to sleep. Some recommend that but at this point I just can't do it. I keep thinking about all the time she spent at the orphanage and who knows how many times she cried herself to sleep.

Hopefully we'll work this out. Otherwise I may be a new living experiment of the effects of long term sleeplessness in adults.


Ay carumba.

No comments: