Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Official Adoption Day

Even though we recieved Elizabeth on 11/5/07, it wasn't until today when we and 9 other families headed by bus with our 9 new babies in tow to the Civil Affairs Office in Guangzhou.

Just the scene of all of these new families marching through the streets of Guangzhou and weaving in between crazy traffic...is something that will be etched in my mind forever.

We arrived at the Civil Affairs office and spent a couple of hours having interviews and signing legal documents. We had to promise to care for Elizabeth and vow never to harm her or abandon her. Perish the thought is all I could say to that.

We have been given the most amazing gift I could ever imagine. I had to wonder as we 18 Americans trodded through the streets of Guangzhou with our dear new daughters in our arms...how the Chinese might view us. I must say I was so surprised to get so many well wishes and comments of "lucky baby" from passers by. But I have to say we are the lucky ones...so lucky to be the parents of our unique, captivating and utterly precious little girl.

Some of these photos show us with one of Elizabeth's nannies at the Baby House. We are so happy that there were able to take care of our baby until the Universe could finally bring us together.




















1 comment:

drkelly said...

Ahhh, yes, I remember those feelings well. I still get very defensive when other people speak badly of China-I consider us an adopted family of that country!
Be sure to drink in the experience, even though you are a little more busy now trying to figure out you precious daughter's schedule, etc. It will be a long time before you are able to return, if you do return for a heritage tour or a 2nd baby?
Soon, you will be like me, obsessed with other people's journeys and trying to hold on to those precious memories!
More pictures, more pictures!!!!!!!!!!!