Sunday, November 18, 2007

Elizabeth is Home!

Elizabeth is home! We feel so lucky and so grateful that we made it back to the U.S. and Elizabeth is safely tucked into her bed.

The trip in the end was extremely difficult and I can tell you that Elizabeth made it home in much better shape than either of her parents.

The last 48 hours have been, how shall I say, "pretty dreadful...only made bearable my the cheerful countenance of lovely Elizabeth.
It is only now, some 40 hours after our arrival home that I have the fortitude to put fingers to keyboard.

Our apologies for the lack of pictures...we have been too busy trying to survive and recover from a 13 hour plane ride and the chaos of LAX, two sick parents (me and Marty) and a baby who is decidely still on China time.

The plane ride itself wasn't bad at all. Elizabeth managed to sleep most of the time--which means of course we didn't since we had to watch and make sure she didn't fall out of her seat. I had purchased a child restraint system called CARES that is FTA approved--however the fellow that approved it must have never met little Elizabeth --cos the darn thing just wasn't going to work for her. It didn't work for the baby in the seat in front of us either. So...the end result was that Elizabeth slept all night and we didn't. Which didn't seem too bad until we got home exhausted with colds and headaches and a WIDE AWAKE baby.

So sleep has been rather scare...which is not a good prescription for jet lag.

Last night Elizabeth was still on China time...which means, I too was on China time--which means once again I didn't sleep. Well, I did get to sleep at 6 a.m. when she finally drifted off to sleep.

All of this to say that I am sorry I haven't posted more about this incredible event, but to put it mildly, "we are wrecks!". I also apologize for not calling or emailing anyone yesterday. If you had been with us--you would understand why.

I am feeling a tad more human this morning and will post more about our adventure and about amazing little Elizabeth--hopefully later today.

We also have to aplogize for the lack of photos of our homecoming. And we are going to have to apologize to Elizabeth for not taking photos when we arrived home. I had visions of getting to LAX and snapping photos of Elizabeth in her lovely pink outfit crossing threshold to the U.S. with Marty and I beaming beside her.

The reality was more like getting caught in the midst of the running of the bulls while carting 6 large pieces of luggage and a baby who has just had a major case of diarrhea and her first crying bout since you have had her...all in the LAX international terminal--which is stressful enough when all goes according to plan.

Hopefully our mildly traumatic arrival home will soon be a distant memory.

Luckily Elizabeth's huge smile whenever she wakes up, somehow makes all of this so much easier to take.

More later....

No comments: